Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Story of Us

Today is Shelby's "Gotcha Day"... the day I welcomed her into my home and more importantly my heart.

There were many steps that finally led me to Shelby.  After I graduated in December of 2009 with my graduate degree, I was determined to get a dog, specifically a Lab.  I found a really nice breeder online and put my name on the waiting list for a puppy.  I was so excited!!  Then I received an email that the mother had a false pregnancy.  The poor thing went through all the symptoms and signs of a pregnancy, but with no puppies.  I was devastated, not only for myself, but for the dog and her family.  That family was not going to have puppies again until the fall and I could not wait that long.  So, I found another breeder close to home, Roundmeadow Labradors.

I went to visit the kennels the beginning of June and immediately put a deposit down for a puppy that I would be able to bring home in a few months.  The litter was due in a couple weeks and I kept checking Roundmeadow's website for updates.  One Friday afternoon I saw this picture on their website & fell in love:
I went to see Shelby on Monday and picked her up on Wednesday, which was June 23rd.  
Shelby at Roundmeadow when I first met her
On our way home...
Watching the Twilight special on TV first night home.
Things were rough at first, it definitely was not an easy transition for either of us, but every day got better and better.  Now I cannot imagine my life without her!  I am so lucky and so blessed to have Shelby.  Most times I am certain she 'saved' me.  It's like that bumper sticker, "Who Rescued Who?" even though I never consider Shelby as rescued since she came from one good home and into another.

This year has brought many happy memories that I will cherish forever!  Here are some of my favorite pictures of my Shelby (aka: Shell, Honey Bunny, Shelbinator, Scaredy Cat, and Pretty Girl):













3 comments:

  1. I have to say this made me cry. She has such a sweet face. You are such a good heart, Ashley. I am happy you two found each other. Happy "Gotcha" Day, Shelby!!! Wishing you both many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Dusty were here, he'd tell me to say he's honored to be one of her best doggie friends and that he's in the pics too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Universe meant for you two to be together - you are soul mates.

    ReplyDelete