Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Texas Hot Cocoa Cake

Last March I went to Texas for a family wedding.  While I was there, my Aunt Donna made Texas Hot Cocoa Cake that was amazing!!  Luckily she shared this awesome recipe with me.

I was waiting for a special occasion to make this cake and thought Mother's Day was just the day!

For Mother's Day dinner I made a yummy Cream of Crab soup, which can be found here.

But onto the good stuff!!

Ingredients:
  • 2 ½ sticks margarine
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp baking soda

Instructions:
Melt margarine with coca & water in pan. Bring to boil & stir.
Looks yummy already!
Sift flour and sugar in large bowl.  Pour hot liquid mixture over flour mixture and beat until smooth.

Add milk, eggs, soda & vanilla and stir well. Bake in large oblong pan 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Icing Ingredients:
  • ¼ lb margarine*
  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa
  • 1 lb powdered sugar
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
*So for some reason I read this as 1 lb margarine... 
there should be one stick of margarine... not 4.  HAHA!

Melt margarine, milk & cocoa in pan. Do not boil!!
Remember.... 1/4 lb margarine... :)
My audience as we patiently waited for the POUND of margarine to melt...
Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and nuts.

While icing is hot, pour over baked cake.
YUM!!
Hmm... that looks like a little too much icing...
Somehow I made it to my parent's house without spilling icing all over my car.  When we cut it, it was such a mess and was not like that when I had it the first time?!  It wasn't until days later that I double-checked the recipe and realized my mistake.
Oops!!!  
I felt like Homer Simpson...

But it still was (surprisingly) delicious!  I definitely recommend this cake... just make sure to read the ingredients correctly!  :)


1 comment:

  1. Thank you!! I have make dozens and dozens of these cakes, but my recipe has been misplaced. I remembered the ingredients well enough to know the others I read, were NOT it. I read yours and I went "this is IT!!" Thanks so much for posting it!

    ReplyDelete