Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Tacos

Another recipe already?!  Yes, friends!  Aren't you lucky?

I pinned this recipe a while ago, and finally made it!  It's a two-fer!

First... 
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Serves ~ 12

1 Envelope Taco Seasoning
6 Pieces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 16-ounce jar Salsa
Dump everything into a crock pot and give it a little stir to blend the seasoning with the salsa. You do not need to add any water to the taco seasoning.
(I actually mixed the taco seasoning and salsa together before dumping!)


Cook on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the chicken should shred easily when stirred with a fork.

This is what it looked like after 7 hours... so I grabbed a spatula (my favorite kitchen gadget!!) to stir it up a bit...

And it shredded so easily!!

The next day I made tacos for dinner... they were YUMMY!!

After eating my my tacos, I dived into making the next recipe with the same chicken!

Second...
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serves: 6

2 cups of the shredded chicken
One 32oz box of chicken broth
One can corn (drain)
2 handfuls chopped cilantro
One squeezed lime*
One can diced tomatoes
One can diced tomatoes w/ chiles
1/2 large yellow onion
One can black beans
2-3 table spoons of tomato paste
2 teaspoons of cumin
2 teaspoons of chile powder
2 teaspoons of garlic powder

Dump everything in a pot and simmer for ~30 minutes.

* Yup - I squeezed a lime.
First four ingredients...

Next four ingredients...
Finished!
After simmering for about 45 minutes I let it sit for awhile and then refrigerated overnight. This soup will make your house smell amazing!

I ate it the next night for dinner... it was really good!!!  If you like things spicy, it definitely can be kicked up a notch or two :)


I will definitely make this again!  I was able to freeze the soup and some of the chicken.  I used the chicken to make tacos one night, put it on my salad at lunch the next day and in the soup... and still had a lot left over!  So I was able to freeze small portions so I could easily have chicken tacos whenever I wanted. :)

2 comments: